From water snakes and boa constrictors to garden snakes and rattlesnakes, there are over 40 species of snake that claim sunny Florida as their habitat. If you discover one of the sneaky, invasive pests in your garden, here are some techniques you can use to safely remove snakes from your property.
Signs of Snakes in Your Yard and Garden
Snakes in Florida find comfort in enclosed spaces where they can conceal themselves. The slithering reptiles are often spotted in tall patches of grass in Central Florida yards or hiding under a garden rock. Warning signs of nearby snakes include:
- Rails of shed skin on the ground
- Thick, clumpy pieces of feces in the yard
- Long thin and winding dirt paths in flower beds
- The subtle sounds of hissing or rattling outside your home
If you notice any of the above signs of suspicious snake activity, it is best to stay alert as a snake may be nearby.
Tips to Safely Remove Snakes
Snakes, especially venomous ones, can inflict serious harm to the human body when in close contact. A poisonous snake bite can result in extreme injury or even death. If you encounter a nuisance snake on your property, try the following methods safely remove snakes from your yard
- Predator urine or other chemical snake handling solutions can be effective in creating a stench that scares them off your property.
- Use a fire pit outside your home to ward off snakes with the smell of smoke.
- Using a hose to spray the snakes can quickly scare or disturb them from their nests and may keep them from returning to your property.
While not all snakes in Florida are venomous, getting too close to any snake, disturbing them in any way, or attempting to trap or capture one using a trash can, recycling bin, or other large object can put you at serious risk of being bitten or attacked. That is why it is best to keep a safe distance from invasive snakes and rely on the snake removal professionals at Critter ControlÂ® of Polk County to safely remove the nuisance pest.
Safe Snake Removal Services in Central Florida
The snake removal professionals at Critter ControlÂ® of Polk County are licensed, trained, and experienced in safely removing snakes from homes and businesses across Central Florida. We start by conducting a careful inspection of your yard to locate and identify the snakes before humanely capturing and removing them. We will also install safeguards to prevent nuisance snakes from returning.